“Complaining: The Hope-Giving Way of Honesty”
- Complaining involves dealing honestly with God (v. 1-16)
- Complaining involves faithfully believing in God (v. 17-39)
- Complaining involves coming humbly to God (v. 40-66)
- What do you notice about the personal nature of Lamentations? As a believer, do you feel the freedom to be this honest about what grieves you? Why or why not?
- In chapter 3:8, Jeremiah feels that God doesn’t hear his prayer. If Jeremiah continues to lament to God even though at times he feels like God isn’t listening, how might that be instructive for us?
- Starting at verse 21, a transition takes place.What changes so that Jeremiah moves from being without hope (v. 18) to possessing hope (v. 21)? What are some things Jeremiah reminds himself about God in vv. 22-33 Pick a verse or phrase from vv.22-33 that applies to your life right now. What do you need to remember about God? How does this re-center you or help you in whatever you’re walking through this week?